I can remember my first foundations while I was in junior high was a compact powdered foundation from Shiseido and CoverGirl that my mother bought me. After that I have tried various types and shades all throughout my high school and college life.
You see the thing with me is that my skin tone isn't just one shade. I need a mix of shades or find one and use concealer to lighten it up. But since I think I now consider myself a pro in picking out what works for me now, I have found that every couple of months I rotate my foundations, tinted moisturizers, cc/bb creams.
SKIN ID - My skin is combo/sensitive - meaning I have dry areas and tend to get oily on my t-zone, & sensitive in the sense that my face gets red and gets little bumps depending on the environment/chemicals in product, easily gets hyper-pigmentation from my hormonal acne.
I love foundations that give me a dewy/glow look. I feel that works best with my skin type.
Here's my current Top 5 foundations, from sheer to full coverage (not in any specific order)
- L'Oreal - Pro Glo 108 'Caramel Beige' 106 'Sun Beige' - light/medium coverage / dewy
- Urban Decay - One and Done - Medium Dark - sheer /dewy also build-able
- Nars - Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer - 'Cuba' sheer / dewy
- Giorgio Armani - Luminous Silk - '6' - sheer / build-able
- L'Oreal - True Match - 'W7 Caramel Beige' 'W6 Sun Beige' - light/medium coverage